Listers,
I have got a number of tables with long columns in them. The text is
free-format and contains carriage returns. Some long columns may be empty
and others will have varying lengths of data (typical call-centre operator
input scenario) there is no  end of record marker that is common between
columns.
I need to extract each record and load it via sqlldr into another system. I
could extract using field1||chr(126)||field2||chr(126) etc 126 being the ~
character but that does not get around the chr(015) CR issue.

I understand sqlldr has issues with CR and I have tried various ways of
resolving this problem. I cannot pre-process the records and remove the CR
character because of the volume of data and the lack of time involved.

I have looked at the stream record format option in my control  file and I
fail to get this tro work as it seems to hang the session every time I call
it. I also suspect that it defines a common end of record marker and as I do
not have one I would have to massage the data which is not a route I can go
down. PS This is Tru64 and 8.1.7 but I think it is a general issue and not
specific to any version of Oracle or o/s

Furthermore it appears that using stream record format parameter reduces
performance which is a key requirement for us.

The questions are

1)      How have other people managed with carriage returns in long columns
(I suspect a CR in a varchar2 field will be a problem as well)?
2)      Is the stream record format the way I want to go (I suspect not)
3)      Has anybody any better ideas

TIA

John

Author: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]