Lifetouch, Inc.

Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 8:54 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

We are considering migrating some Oracle Databases
across platforms -- from Solaris to HPUX.
We'll, of course, be using Export-Import.

I've been asked to come up with a list of issues / cautions
to consider.

e.g. I can think of

Pre-Requisites :
        1.  The right [same or higher] version of  the Oracle RDBMS +
Patchset Release must be installed.
        2.  The database should be created with a minimum block-size of 4K,
preferably 8K.
        3.  The database character-set should preferably be the same or a
higher character-set.  [eg US7ASCII or WE8ISO8859P1 or UTF8]
        4.  The NLS_LANG settings during the Export and Import must be
complaint.

Potential Issues :

        1.  BFILE references will become invalid as BFILEs are stored
outside the database.
        2.  If there are tables containing LOBs, the import can be slower.
[There was an 8i bug requiring COMMIT=Y to improve Import performance but
commiting at every record, instead of at every buffer-size].

Recommendations / experiences appreciated.

Hemant K Chitale
http://hkchital.tripod.com
Author: Hemant K Chitale

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS