I have also been on a project which used fine-grained access control.  The
project was a reporting application for a large organisation and one of the
problems we found we dealing with the various levels of security.  The
organisation has ~10,000 cost centres and some users could see only a very
small branch, whilst others could see the entire structure, whilst others
could see almost everything except for a few very high level branches.
There was also a different way of providing security (ie: not cost centre
related) and many users had a combination of both to be applied.

One of the biggest "gotchas" was performance tuning the application.
Because of the complexity of our security implementation we initially fell
in the trap of tuning the query with no security added (a couple of users
had the clause "and 1 = 1").  Naturally when other users connected the
explain plan changed and performance was pretty average.  It took a while
to index all tables in such a way that it worked well for every type of
security clause.  So, yes there can be a performance hit and that hit can
vary dramatically depending on what type of clause you are adding.

Having said that, it did work and was transparent to the front end,
allowing users to create their own queries / reports and still be bound by
the security model.

Cheers,
     Mark.

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    .tenet.edu                   To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    Sent by:                     cc:

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]             Subject:     RE: SQL question
avoiding 2 views and not in

                    14/12/2002 10:03

                    Please respond to

                    ORACLE-L

Lisa,

A couple of years ago, when I was a consultant, I implemented Application
Context and Fine-Grained Access Control, AKA Row Level Security for a
client.

Since it causes a predicate to be appended to the Where clause of every SQL
statement issued against the tables having a Security Policy, I guess
performance could be impacted if you didn't index the columns referenced by
the appended predicates.  We never noticed a bit of degradation in our
testing, but we were careful about the indexing.

I left that project before it went into production, so I don't know the
ultimate outcome.  However, I'd sure use FGAC again, if the need arises, it
works very well.  Actually, I probably *will* use it on a couple of our 3rd
Party apps here which don't enforce security to the degree that we require.
I'll let y'all know how it performs.

Jack C. Applewhite
Database Administrator
Austin Independent School District
Austin, Texas
512.414.9715 (wk)
512.935.5929 (pager)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      "Koivu, Lisa"

                      <Lisa.Koivu@efair        To:       Multiple
recipients of list ORACLE-L
                      field.com>                <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                      Sent by:                 cc:

                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Subject:  RE: SQL question
avoiding 2 views and not in

                      12/13/2002 03:38

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      ORACLE-L

Has anyone used context and fine-grained security?  I seem to remember the
performance hit was not minimal when using this functionality.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
   Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
          If you are not the addressee indicated in this message
       (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person),
            you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender
           by reply e-mail or by telephone on (61 3) 9612-6999.
   Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to
                Internet e-mail for messages of this kind.
        Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message
              that do not relate to the official business of
                         Transurban City Link Ltd
         shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

Author: Mark Richard