Has anyone used transportable tablespaces as a special backup method?

Periodically I get a request from our applications people to "backup these
tables before we run this year-end program so if something goes wrong we can
reset everything." And the attention-getter is "if we can't recover, you
won't get paid again."
   - Usually nothing goes wrong (thankfully).
   - We do full backups, obviously, but there are unpleasant consequences
for rolling back an enterprise-scale database. The system goes back for
everyone. Obviously we can do a TSPITR over on a test system, but I don't
like to rely on that alone.
   - Export works great for small to medium size tables.
   - Export of large tables is fine, but my experience says that importing a
really large table can take a LOOONG time, a frightening prospect during an
emergency.
   - It occurs to me that making the tablespace read-only and performing a
transportable "export" should work great. These large tables are in their
own tablespace. The application doesn't any RI in Oracle.
   - Recovery should be a matter of dropping the existing tablespace,
copying the backup datafile off tape, running the import procedure, and
making the tablespace read-write. Much faster than the true import.

Am I missing something? I plan to try this on a test system to make sure I
have the right syntax.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.