-----Original Message-----
Sent: 02 January 2003 09:24
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

First of all I'd like to have the full picture of your performance: Log
file sync might be 57% of the wait time, but how much of the response
time is wait time?

Second, Log File Sync means Commit; So if your system is waiting a lot
for commits there are two things you can do: Fewer commits (changes to
applications) or faster commits (hardware striping, etc.).

No changes to the log buffer will help here (except perhaps making it
smaller, as Connor McDonald so brilliantly showed during the funniest
presentation I've ever seen in my life at UKOUG in Birmingham). If the
log buffer is being flushed constantly, it's better to make it small so
that it doesn't have to go through the whole thing every time.

Mogens

VIVEK_SHARMA wrote:

What ALL may be Done to Address the Following ?
Any /etc/system , init.ora parameter Changes too ?
Moving the Online Redo Logfiles onto RAID 1 NOT possible as that may

warrant Additional Hardware . Moreover T3+ does NOT Support RAID 1 (Only
RAID 1+ )

Concurrent Oracle processes = 1500 Approx.
Statspack Taken during Mostly OLTP Operations :-

Top 5 Wait Events
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                                             Wait     %

Total

Event                                               Waits  Time (cs)   Wt

Time

-------------------------------------------- ------------ ------------

-------

log file sync                                     970,563    2,597,831

57.46

log file parallel write                           831,141      484,948

10.73

log_buffer = 2MB
Online Redo Logfiles Exist on RAID 1+
Storage Box is T3+