Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 3:14 PM
Subject: RE: Database tracking

Tom,

This is what we do ...
We have a schema called "heartbeat" ... owns a table called rhythm (one column time_stamp data type date);

1. Using a perl program, we log on to instance, insert a row in the table with value sysdate.
2. Use dbms_lock.sleep to sleep for 3 seconds.
3. select sysdate-time_stamp from rhythm;
4. rollback;
5. exit from the program.

If the difference at stage 3 is > 5 seconds, the web-page goes red, if it is > 6 seconds the alarm goes off.

Works fine ... we have this set-up on all our RAC instances ... The query is run from a monitoring server that connects to the database on public network (as everyone else) and also has 2 private networks ... if public network goes away.

Raj
Rajendra Jamadagni              MIS, ESPN Inc.
Rajendra dot Jamadagni at ESPN dot com
Any opinion expressed here is personal and doesn't reflect that of ESPN Inc.