Hi:

Oracle 8173 on Sun 2.8.

When we had tablespace created as DMT, I used to occuasionally find all indexes in a schema which have multiple extents and run a script to compress each of them into one single extent (maybe this is not necessary, but that's another topic). But I find lately that with LMT, I can not simply do that. Oracle will decide how many extents it allocates depending on the storage parameters I pass in:

ALTER INDEX ID_IG_PK REBUILD TABLESPACE INDEXES STORAGE (INITIAL 5M NEXT 5M pctincrease 0) nologging;

Does this mean I just can not "compress" some large index into a single extent in a LMT?

Example:

SQL> ALTER INDEX MT.ID_IG_PK REBUILD TABLESPACE INDEXES STORAGE (INITIAL 50K NEXT 50K pctincrease 0) nologging;

Index altered.

SQL> select BYTES,EXTENTS,blocks, INITIAL_EXTENT,NEXT_EXTENT
2 from dba_segments where owner='MT' and segment_name='ID_IG_PK';

BYTES EXTENTS BLOCKS INITIAL_EXTENT NEXT_EXTENT
---------- ---------- ---------- -------------- -----------
516096 1 63 57344 516096

SQL> ALTER INDEX MT.ID_IG_PK REBUILD TABLESPACE INDEXES STORAGE (INITIAL 5M NEXT 5M pctincrease 0) nologging;

Index altered.

SQL> select BYTES,EXTENTS,blocks, INITIAL_EXTENT,NEXT_EXTENT
2 from dba_segments where owner='MT' and segment_name='ID_IG_PK';

BYTES EXTENTS BLOCKS INITIAL_EXTENT NEXT_EXTENT
5677056 11 693 5242880 516096

TIA.

Guang

Author: Guang Mei