Sony
   I'm not Ruth, but perhaps I can provide some helpful information.
   Export is a logical backup. It is useful for recovering from some types
of failures, but not for others. For example, if I have a small codes table
that doesn't change much, and a developer makes some changes to the table
that actually corrupt it. Since the table rarely changes I can recover it
from my export. But suppose instead a production table that receives massive
inserts and updates becomes corrupt near the end of the workday. If I have
performed hot or cold or RMAN backups and run the database in archivelog
mode, I can recover that table right up to the last committed transaction.
   You should begin by learning more about the various Oracle backup
alternatives. A good book to begin with is Oracle Backup & Recovery 101 by
Kenny Smith and Stephan Haisley. This book covers all types of Oracle
backups including RMAN.
   RMAN is included with your Oracle installation. It is free with Oracle.
The best book for RMAN is Oracle9i RMAN Backup & Recovery by Robert Freeman
and Matthew Hart.
   Also visit with your user managers and learn what their backup and
recovery requirements are. How critical is their data? How long can they be
without their data in the event of a failure? Can you take the database down
each night for a cold backup, or do they need to have the database
continuously available?

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.

Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 7:29 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Hi Ruth,

In my company we run export for our daily backup. Why is it not best way to
do backup ? and about RMAN, is it third party program on oracle or it is
already include in oracle, or if it is a script, would you share it to me ?
I use oracle 9i on windows 2000 server.

TIA,

Sony

Author: Sony kristanto