David,

> I can't recompile two of my packages and the Oracle tech said
> shutdown and
> start backup.  When  I did that and re-compiled everything
> was fine.  The
> two packages had a lock on them (ora-04021).   I read the
> Oracle docs on how
> to use dbms_debug but there is no information on:
>
> 1) how do you "undo"  dbms_debug, is it just re-compiling?
>
> 2) are there performance issues with dbms_bebug?

DBMS_DEBUG is used for debugging a PL/SQL program during execution and not
compilation. Right tool, wrong situation :)

When a package is being executed, it cannot be compiled. Any attempts to
compile it will force the session to 'hang' on the 'library cache lock'.
What the Oracle tech suggested was a brute force method of killing all procs
that were holding the pin on the package. These sessions holding the pin can
easily be identified using a wrapped PL/SQL package called 'who_is_using' -
take this off MetaLink for your version. You should then be able to
selectively kill off those sessions before compiling the package.

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002

Disappointment is inevitable, but Discouragement is optional!

** The opinions and statements above are entirely my own and not those of my
employer or clients **

Author: John Kanagaraj