>Hi all,
>
>I am writing a script that can "grep "ORA-" from
>alert log.
>
>I think it will be good if I can grep the time of
>the error occur, can you please help me?
>
>If you are lazy to type please introduce me any
>related unix function, I will do man "the function"
>myself.
>

>Thanks
>
>Sinardy

Sinardy,

   I don't think that 'grep' is the tool to use, because it operates mainly line by
line (at least this is the way I use it :-)) and the timestamp appears a variable
number of lines before the error message. You need some 'short-term memory' to
associate the error message to the latest timestamp encountered. I would use awk
instead, unless you have a familiarity with perl which I haven't.
   Before you reinvent the wheel, check the Internet, I think that some tools,
possibly some of them free, are available.

Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole
Author: Stephane Faroult