Sigh.  I have a gung-ho development group that installed Oracle and
created their own production database/instance at a client site.  This
is on Windows 2000, so insert CD, click NEXT 100 times.  Viola!

They were bragging about how easy it was, until I started asking some
key questions about their configuration.  Now the project manager is
asking for a list of items that I would need to configure, and number of
hours.

I googled but didn't find anything that seemed to help, so I'm posting
my high-level check list below for feedback of any kind (updates to the
check list, links, white papers, insults, etc.)

Many thanks.

Chris

Security
        *       Lock out back door accounts.
        *       Change passwords for SYS, SYSTEM, and INTERNAL to
non-dictionary words.
        *       Change passwords for the application schemas to
non-dictionary words.

Backups
        *       Are regular, scheduled backups setup?
                o       Exports really needed?
                o       Cold/Hot Backups setup?

Archivelog mode
        *       Is the production database in archivelog mode?
                *       In init.ora add
                        *       LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST = c:\archive
                        *       LOG_ARCHIVE_FORMAT = arch%.arc
                        *       LOG_ARCHIVE_MAX_PROCESSES=2
                *       In server manager
                        *       connect
                        *       startup mount
                        *       alter database archivelog
                        *       alter database open
                        *       shutdown immediate
                *       Execute a complete cold backup.
        *       Where are the archive log files going?  Is there a
process to back them up and clean them out?

Tablespaces
        *       Are the data and index tablespaces sized to support
future growth?
        *       Is the temp tablespace sized properly?

Redo Logs/Redo Log Buffers
        *       Sizing?
        *       Placement, separate from data/index files?
        *       Mirroring, via Oracle redo log groups?

Control file
        *       Do we have three copies on separate disks?

Init.ora
        *       Compare against dev/test.
        *       Adjust to server size, memory, CPUs, etc.
        *       open_cursors = 200  ???

Analyze schema objects
        *       Is there a scheduled process to regularly analyze
objects?

Windows 2000
        *       Set background processes to have priority over
foreground processes?
        *       The Oracle services are auto started?
        *       Using NTFS disks?  FAT32 is insecure.
        *       Make sure the screen saver is none CPU intensive.

Author: Grabowy, Chris