Lifetouch, Inc.

Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 10:34 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Hello everyone,

Well I've been "reassigned".  I was responsible for the completely messed up
Peoplesoft Oracle/AIX environment but management here decided that it was
more important to separate a husband and wife that both work in the same
department, and assigned one of them to be primary support in this
environment instead of me.  (sshh:  The new person who is primary doesn't
know a thing about Unix.)  My primary job is now suppossed to be data
modeling and data warehouse/mart design, moving on into Problematica (er,
Informatica) development into a Sql Server database.  I will not be the
admin on the Sql Server database.  My new boss referred to this as "database
architecture".  ??  What?  They have already decided what they want done and
just want someone to take the pretty pictures and implement them with
unrealistic deadlines.

The main reason why I am upset is because it seems to me that data modeling
is such a "soft" skill.  I am concerned about keeping my skills up to date
and keeping my hands in an Oracle environment, whether it's a mess or not.
Seems to me that data modeling alone isn't something that can land you a new
job or really spiff up your resume.  I think that having a finite list of
skills (Oracle, Unix, Windows 2000, Erwin, Project, crap like that) is more
what employers search for, and is what HR depts can easily deal with.

Am I wrong?  This job pays well and working for a huge company has it's
benefits, if you can deal with the bureaucracy similar to what is described
in the 1st paragraph.  And I know in this market I am just lucky to have a
job.

And please tell me if I'm whining.  I may just need a KITA.  Who knows
anymore...

Lisa Koivu
Oracle Drink Beer Again
Fairfield Resorts, Inc.
5259 Coconut Creek Parkway
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA  33063
Office: 954-935-4117
Fax:    954-935-3639
Cell:    954-683-4459

"The sender believes that this E-Mail and any attachments were free of any
virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious code when sent. This message and
its attachments could have been infected during transmission.  By reading
the message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts full
responsibility for taking proactive and remedial action about viruses and
other defects. The sender's business entity is not liable for any loss or
damage arising in any way from this message or its attachments."

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author:
Koivu, Lisa INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fat City Network Services --
858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list
and web hosting services
you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other
information (like subscribing).

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS