I see yet another poor soul still supporting V7.3.4.5 as I am doing on V2.6
Solaris.

You should be warned that on a couple of different occasions (I'm a slow
learner)
when I launched a SQL script which changed AUDITing on hundreds of objects,
Oracle went "bonkers". It appearded as though the memory resident portion
of
the data dictionary got scrambled. For example Oracle started spewing
errors
that it could not find the PART table. Needless to say this caused
considerable
problems for my end users.

So now whenever I need to changing AUDITing, I run the script immediately
before I am/can bounced the database; just to be safe.

HTH & YMMV

HAND!

                      "Sam Bootsma"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      .on.ca>                  cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Script to Turn Off All Oracle
Auditing Options?
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      03/04/2003 01:50

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      ORACLE-L

We are running Oracle 7.3.4.5.0 on an IBM/AIX RISC System/6000: Version
2.3.4.0.0.

I have a database here with about 600 Oracle users defined in dba_users.
However, likely one half or more of the defined users no longer connect to
the database.  I want to purge out the users that do not use the database.
My plan is this:

   1. Turn on session auditing (See below for potential problem)
   2. After a couple of months, determine which users have never logged
      into the database
   3. Lock or drop the accounts of these users

I was about to turn on auditing when I realized there was a potential
problem.  Currently the AUDIT_TRAIL parameter is not defined in the
init.ora file, so there is no auditing being performed.  Potential Problem:
I do not know what auditing options are already defined.  For all I know,
there may be an option that audits all selects and all DML on all tables
for all users (pretty much worst case scenario).  If such an option exists,
it will put a very heavy load on the database, and I will get in trouble
with users and management in the morning.

I want to be able to find out what options are currently set for auditing.
Ideally, I would like scripts that will run through all possible auditing
options and turn them all off.  This way, I can turn on the option(s) I
want turned on, and not worry about pre-existing options.  Can anybody tell
me what data dictionary views hold the auditing options?  Also, our system
has a synonym named DBA_SYS_AUDIT_OPTS, but no corresponding view.  Is
there supposed to be a view for this?

I am new to this company, and new to the database.  Any help you can
provide is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam Bootsma