We currently have twenty-one databases, thirteen production and eight  which are
either test or development.   Of the thirteen production databases five need to be up
on a 24 X 7 basis; physics experiments and or accelerator monitoring depend on them.
Nine of the production databases are Oracle back ends for third-party products
including Peoplesoft and Remedy.  All the above databases all administered  by one
DBA.

We do have Peoplesoft Administrators, Remedy Administrators, System Administrators  to
take some of the load off, but I am responsible for the installation, upgrade,
maintenance, tuning, and backup of all databases and Oracle software.  This includes
Internet Developer Suite and Internet Application Server, although as to the latter,
I'm in the process of unloading it.
This all works quite well most of the time.  A problem can arise when  I must devote
my attention to fixing  a pressing problem.  In which case the reading of some reports
on the non-24x7 databases may be postponed and the database then pages me about
trouble which I could of fixed proactively had I read the reports.

Larry E. talks of having a single database with third party certifications to consider
and with multiple applications requiring 24 X 7 service this is impossible.  We do of
course have to negotiate down times for even the 24 X 7 applications, but their
operational schedules make it impossible to have them all down at once.

I do get vacations.  A cell phone and a wide-area pager is a necessity, and  I don't
necessarily have to be at work from eight to five.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center

Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 8:24 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Chuck,
 At this location we have a total of 5 databases and 1 DBA.  Time off without an
electronic teather is a thing of the past. My last location was 4 production databases
with 1 DBA and a backup DBA from the development arena of 2 development databases and
1 DBA. Ron

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 03/11/03 09:59AM >>>
I'm trying to build a case for management that we need additional DBAs so I'd like to
take a quick poll if I may. What is the ratio of Oracle databases to DBAs in your
shop? This includes development and production databases. At our shop it's 33:1.

Author: Chuck Hamilton

removed from).  You may also send the HELP command for other information (like
subscribing).

Author: Ron Rogers

Author: MacGregor, Ian A.