Title: RE: Database Modeling- Normalization - Dinosaurs or What?

I know but seem to have to work with developers these days who don't understand the basics of normalization and the tradeoffs - lack of data integrity, lack of extensiblity.  Saying to them and even showing them data integrity issues doesn't seem to convince them.  They always say - we will handle that in the application.  To me it isn't handled in the database it isn't really taken care of and why replicate in application code what is already part of the underlying RDBMS - but then they start getting personal.

Oracle OCP DBA

-----Original Message-----
From: Robson, Peter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 11:39 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: RE: Database Modeling- Normalization - Dinosaurs or What?

Just a couple of comments here, Dennis.....

Indeed, some very experienced Oracle users advice against using these
extensions.

>     As Tom points out, the data model will need to support
> many purposes.
> One is reporting. If you don't normalize your data model,
> then it will be
> difficult or impossible to create reports.

In fact, if you don't normalise, you will be unable to guarantee the
integrity of your data, and that is far worse!

peter
edinburgh

> Dennis Williams
> DBA, 40%OCP, 100% DBA
> Lifetouch, Inc.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This  e-mail   message,  and  any  files  transmitted   with  it, are
confidential  and intended  solely for the  use of the  addressee. If
this message was not addressed to  you, you have received it in error
and any  copying,  distribution  or  other use  of any part  of it is
strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented are solely those
of the sender and do not  necessarily represent  those of the British
Geological  Survey. The  security of e-mail  communication  cannot be
guaranteed and the BGS  accepts no liability  for claims arising as a
result of the use of this medium to  transmit messages from or to the
BGS. The BGS cannot accept any responsibility  for viruses, so please
scan all attachments.                            http://www.bgs.ac.uk

Author: Robson, Peter
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services