Question:

If some idiot decides to circumvent Oracle's referential integrity and
re-implement it by using triggers (insert, update, delete) that checks the
foreign (parent/child) key fields in other tables like this,

declare numrows INTEGER;
begin
    -- ApplicationForm is used if the state and other criteria match that
in
    -- ApplicationFormCriteria ON PARENT DELETE RESTRICT
    select count(*) into numrows
      from ApplicationFormCriteria
      where
        ApplicationFormCriteria.applicationFormId = :old.applicationFormId;
    if (numrows > 0)
    then
      raise_application_error(
        -20343,
        'Database Integrity Violation - Cannot DELETE row in Table
''ApplicationForm'' because referencing row exists in table
''ApplicationFormCriteria'' for Primary Key (applicationFormId)=' ||
        :old.applicationFormId
      );
    end if;

end;

would it cause context switching between the SQL & PL/SQL engines?

Yes, some genius did this in one of our databases.  Two hundred
third/fourth normal form tables enforced by 800 triggers...  I have him
registered to be stoned in public.