Thursday, May 29, 2003, 6:00:49 PM, Bob wrote:
BM>         Thanks for answering my question. I diddnt realise you could
BM> querry colums ahead of the current line.

As I recall, it took me a long time to realize that too.
It may help to realize that everything you type between
double-quotes (those SQL expressions) are made part of the
INSERT statement SQL*Loader uses to insert each row. By the
time that INSERT gets executed, SQL*Loader has to have
parsed the input record and isolated all the fields. Thus,
in a SQL expression, you have access to all the fields all
the time.

Related to the above, before Oracle9i, using SQL expressions
with SQL*Loader precludes doing a direct-path load. 9i
relaxed that restriction somewhat. It's been awhile though,
since I've looked at exactly what 9i allows.

You can see your SQL expressions in the INSERT statement.
Just enable SQL tracing while you run one of your loads.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are
http://Gennick.com * 906.387.1698 * mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Join the Oracle-article list and receive one
article on Oracle technologies per month by
email. To join, visit http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/oracle-article,
or send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
include the word "subscribe" in either the subject or body.

Author: Jonathan Gennick