Check the disk capacity for the archive log destination.

Bonnie Finke

-----Original Message-----
Cullen
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 9:20 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Hi All,

I keep getting a cannot allocate new log in the alert log. This freezes the
entire application and I am unable to connect to oracle in order to do a
statspack snap shot.

This is an upgrade to Version 8.1.7.4 set up on a WK2000 (NEW) Server with 2
gigs of memory.

We are writing to 3 separate disks

Our D&E drives are RAID 0+1. The log files (including application logs) are
written to these drives
The F drive is raid 5 - this is where our data resides. (No logs are written
to the F drive)

Currently we have 4 groups of redo log files

         group 1  ('d:\oracle\oradata\gda\gda_11.log',
                   'e:\oracle\oradata\gda\gda_12.log')    size  20M reuse,
         group 2  ('d:\oracle\oradata\gda\gda_21.log',
                   'e:\oracle\oradata\gda\gda_22.log')    size  20M reuse,
         group 3  ('d:\oracle\oradata\gda\gda_31.log',
                   'e:\oracle\oradata\gda\gda_32.log')    size  20M reuse,
         group 4  ('d:\oracle\oradata\gda\gda_41.log',
                   'e:\oracle\oradata\gda\gda_42.log')    size  20M reuse

and we archive to e:\oracle\arc\gda

These are our log settings from the init.ora
log_buffer                          = 131072
log_checkpoint_interval             = 100000000
log_checkpoint_timeout              = 0

I have the performance monitor running the whole time and when this happens
the CPU, DISK QUE LENGTH all look normal.
I have read the archive files regarding this error but thought that the
above set-up was sufficient.
Can anybody *please* give me some idea of what other areas I should be
looking at in order to prevent the error from occurring.
Would writing smaller files help? Disk space is not an issue.

Thanks - all advice appreciated,

N.
(developer/part-time DBA)

___________________________________