System can definitely grant privileges in another schema before 9.  It just takes some
preparation.

As system create a procedure in  the other schema

CREATE OR  REPLACE procedure  <other_schema>.grantit
(privilege in varchar2, object in varchar2, grantee in varchar2) is
begin
execute immediate ('grant ' ||privilege ||' on ' ||object ||' to ' ||grantee);
end;
/

Then as system invoke it as

This works beause the  procedure runs under the security domain of the "other user",
and of course because system has the ability to create and execute privileges  in
other schemas.

Are you on 9.0.1 or 9.2?  I thought the ability to do the granting without using a
procedure was available beginning with 9.2.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center

Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 3:55 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

haven't tried it with SYS but in 9i SYSTEM (maybe any account with DBA privs -- have
to try it) can definitely grant privileges on other owner's objects.

Makes my scripts that have to pass through a hosting company easy now... they have the
system password, and I don't have to tell anyone the schema owner password

Rachel

http://calendar.yahoo.com
Author: Rachel Carmichael

removed from).  You may also send the HELP command for other information (like
subscribing).
Author: MacGregor, Ian A.