From: John Kanagaraj [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 2:31 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: RE: Microsoft VS Oracle (again)

Rich,

> So, what's the case for code changes?

TAF (Transparent Application Failover) will provide both SESSION failover as
well as SELECT failover. In the former case, the session aborts on the
now-failed server and starts from the beginning on the new node, while the
latter enables user with open cursors to continue fetching on them after
failure by re-executing the cursors on the new node. The former does not
require code changes, while the latter does, and requires code changes done
on a limited number of executable environments (JDBC Thin and OCI come to
mind) that support 'TAF Callback'. TAF *with RAC* will provide the
environment for a clustered environment where the user can failover from one
node to another node accessing the same data (as compared to TAF in a
replicated environment).

Hope this answers your question. Murali Vallath [are you listening in,
Murali?] may be able to add some details [Hint!]

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002

Disappointment is inevitable, but Discouragement is optional!

** The opinions and statements above are entirely my own and not those of my
employer or clients **

Author: John Kanagaraj
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services