Most modern versions of linux have shared memory/semaphore parameters set high enough that oracle can start (unless, of course, you have an exceptionally large SGA). (Note 187397.1)

If this is a fresh install (in particular a download from OTN) of 8.1.7, locate the "glibc-2.1.3-stubs.tar.gz" patch from Oracle. (http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/oracle8i/htdocs/linuxsoft.html).

There is also a good document entitled: "Oracle RDBMS OTN Downloads: Files, Sizes and Directions" (Note 209555.1)

-- James

Seema Singh wrote:
Hi,
I'm having problem during startup of instance on LINUX.I have oracle 8.1.7 on red hat.
When I start instance it try to come upto this below lines
background_dump_dest =
user_dump_dest =
core_dump_dest =

after that I'm getting following message
SVRMGR> connect internal;
Connected.
SVRMGR> startup;
ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
SVRMGR> connect internal;
Password: ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
SVRMGR>
When I see semaphore and shared memory.Its locked.I'm unable to get into server manager without killing all shared mem process.
Let me know how to fix this problem pl
thx
-seema

Author: James J. Morrow