> why is it useful to seperate different i/o pattersn? such as
> multi-block reads and single block reads?

Because (assuming adaptive I/O subsystems like EMC's and
such) each gets optimized into different priority scales and
device queues.  And of course if they are to the same device, they
*may* interfere with each other.

Like I said: highly dependent on your I/O hardware.  Doesn't hurt to
set it up so you can take advantage of any future expansion/upgrade.
IOW, separate indexes and tables into individual tablespaces, not
because of I/O performance considerations but because of the
flexibility it gives you in adapting to future change.

The core of the OFA paper, really.  But I'll let Cary
speak for that: it's his baby.

Cheers
Nuno Souto

Author: Nuno Pinto do Souto