From: David Wagoner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 2:59 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: Physical Design Question

Here's my situation:

Damagement wants us to move 4 small production DBs to one server to save on licensing costs.  Server is a Sun E4500, 4 CPUs, 8 GB RAM.  There is a pair of internal disks that are mirrored with enough room for Solaris, swap, and 1 Oracle Home.  There are 3 A1000 disk arrays (12 x 18 GB drives each), all set to RAID 1+0 using the S.A.M.E. approach.

Questions:

1.  Should I use a separate Oracle Home for each DB?

        Pros:   --Allows upgrade/patching of 1 DB at a time without affecting others (some are home-grown, some are 3rd party).

        Cons:  --Takes up more space, but space is not a major concern.
                       --I'll have to put some Oracle Homes on the A1000s with the data files (i.e., concerns about disk contention).

                       --Requires applying multiple upgrades/patches

2.  Should I put 1 DB per A1000? (Actually, 1 A1000 would hold 2 of the least active DBs.)

        Pros:  --Easier to determine performance problems b/c each DB is isolated on 1 A1000.
                      --If one controller dies, it only affects 1 DB.

        Cons:  --Only get throughput of 1 controller; could use 3 controllers if data files spread across 3 A1000s.

Anyone with experience doing this, please share your tips, tricks, and gotchas!

Best regards,

David B. Wagoner
Database Administrator