I haven't used DBXray (yet -- maybe it's not an automated process to
download a trial?), but I don't feel TOAD is the best at DB administration,
especially for performance tuning/monitoring.  Then again, it's been awhile
since I've used TOAD's optional DBA module, since it's no longer available
in the beta.  For development, I think it's the best, especially at US
$795/user.  I've been a TOAD user since v4, when it was Jim McDaniel's
freeware baby.

For tracing into running SQLs I prefer using Quest's Spotlight.  Aside from
a slick interface (makes impressive screen shots for management-types), it
is very easy to drill down into problem areas, like resource hogging
sessions you mention.  I still think that any tool requires knowledge of the
underlying queries they use to fully understand what the tool is telling
you, I just happen to prefer Spotlight's interface.

If I ever get the email for the DBXray trial from BMC, I'll let you know
what I think of that compared to the others.

Author: Jesse, Rich