Thanks for the clarification. You got me nervous :)

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 07/23/03 04:09PM >>>
that's not quite what I said.

I said Oracle will not support hot backups done without putting the
tablespace into "backup mode" unless that hot backup is done with RMAN.

at least that's what I thought I was saying.

you can still do the good old-fashioned "alter tablespace begin
backup"/backup the datafiles/"alter tablespace end backup"  sort of hot
backup

or you can use RMAN and not have to do the begin/end backup

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services