Daniel Fink
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 11:49 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Henry,
        I'll make an attempt, but I am still learning a great deal about wait
events and trace files. Cary, Mogens, Anjo, Tim, Jonathan, Wolfgang, et.al.
are better authorities, so any corrections are very welcome.
        The time between waits is the elapsed time. If we equate elapsed time to
response time, we must look at the two components of RT, wait time and
service time. If the time differential is 7 minutes, x minutes is service
time and y minutes is wait time. It is possible that only .01 seconds was
wait time, while the remaining 6:59:99 was service time (i.e. cpu)
        I can't explain the scattered read issue. However, it is interesting to
note that the # of blocks to be read is offset by 1 in the second wait
event. Perhaps, the read request was issued, but the 65.6041 block was
already in memory, so the read request was reissued minus that block. I'm
not sure how the latch free enters into the picture, but I have a feeling
that this wait is integral in the sequence of events.

Dan

Author: Henry Poras