Title: Message
What is the error message (if any)
Can you connect thru SQL*Plus (/ as sysdba)

-----Original Message-----
From: Wolfe Stephen S GS-11 6 MDSS/SGSI [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2003 1:35 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: Oracle 9i refuses to allow client connection -- I need some help.

I'm an Oracle administrator-To-Be, I'm awaiting funding for the basic Oracle DBA courses, the
training has been approved, just hasn't been funded.

Anyway, the only things I do are add, modify, and reset application users' password via EM and run
patching scripts via SQL-Plus.  The application I have running on this particular 9i server is TPOCS,
Third Party Outpatient Collection System -- a billing system for the DoD's Military Health System (MHS).
Oracle 9i is running on a Windows 2000 server.

Anyway, the TPOCS client is a PowerBuilder client and connects via SQL-Net -- I'm still learning about that
mechanism.  Here's my problem.  Occasionally, Oracle refuses to let any client connect to it -- it does this about
every 7 to 8 days.  It use to do it every 2 days, but the Tier 3 TPOCS helpdesk recommended we increase the
ram on the server from 512MB to 1GB.  Then the problem started occurring every 7 to 8 days.  To make the problem
go away I reboot the server -- it only takes 10 minutes, however, I feel this a very poor work-around.

Which logs could I look in that would give you guys more information (like an error code) on why Oracle refuses
client connections and then how would we make this problem go away.  it is becoming a PITA.

v/r

Stephen S. Wolfe, GS-11, DAFC
Data Services Manager
[EMAIL PROTECTED]