From: Michael Kline [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 11:29 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: Is it Veritas or is it smoke and mirrors? again

There seems to be some big confusion if Veritas is
working or not...

Based on Previous discussions this customer has
the Oracle Veritas agent running, and they do
nightly backups.

How ever, I find absolutely NONE of the RMAN
tables updated so they are not using RMAN.
I also find that the alert log has no references
what so ever to "alter tablespace xyz begin
backup" and the "... end backup"...

While the agent is there and working, I sure
see no signs that anything is happening as
far as a REAL backup.

It's Oracle 9i, but even that, I would think
is going to leave some "hints" that all the
hooks are working and backup is occurring.

Recovery has NEVER been tested.

Michael Alan Kline, Sr.
Principal Consultant
Business to Business Solutions, LLC