Title: RE: rebuild index -initial extent - magic??!!

I did the following in Oracle RDBMS 9i:

SQL> alter index xsc_uk rebuild tablespace ax_le_small storage (initial 128K
  2  next 128K);
SQL> select initial_extent,next_extent,index_name from dba_indexes
  2  where index_name like 'XSC%';

         65536      131072 XSC_CLNT_FK_I
         65536      131072 XSC_PK
        131072      131072 XSC_UK

As I wish to use uniform extent sizing and I was given an import that does have that.  I am a little concerned about the initial extent changing - what if there is data in the index?  - how it could possibly deallocate space if you wish to have a smaller extent size.  It was very quick.  Did I really end up with new extents for XSC_UK each 128K????