All,
        I have a question of how to auto start a standby database. IOW,
it seems the logs are only applies if I issue the command
Recover managed standby database;

With thatcommand, the logs are applied, however, if I (or someone else)
exits the cmd window the process stops

So, how can I set this up to be automated?

I need to keep the database in this state.... (I must be missing the
obivious)

Sqlplus /nolog
Connect sys/*** as sysdba
Startup mount;
Alter databse mount standby database;

Recover managed standby database;

I used this doc as a base for my initSID.ora files and dosnt seem to
mention the starting up on the db
http://www.oracle-base.com/Articles/8i/StandbyDatabase.asp

Thanks!
bob