We were going to use logical standby but quickly abandoned the idea
after testing.

1.  The APPLY process on the standby crashed regularly (every 10
minutes or so).   Oracle claimed it was a fixed bug, but there was no
port to Windows, so we'd have had either to wait for the next RDBMS
release or request a patch...with implementation a month or so away, we
didn't want to take the chance.
2.  DDL in the apply stream is problematic, also causing apply slave
crashes.
3.  Performance of the apply slave is horrendous.  Since Logical
Standby uses LogMiner to construct SQL statements from redo
information, and since redo information consists of block change
vectors, a 10,000-row delete in the redo becomes...10,000 DELETE
statements in the apply process.  I found that the time for application
of changes on the standby  was about an order of magnitude greater than
the time taken for the original changes on the master; and this was
after applying a few (but not all) of Oracle's standby tuning
suggestions.

Also, we are planning to use Oracle Label Security, but it is not
compatible with Logical Standby.

There are a number of Documentation bugs (including bugs in Notes
posted on MetaLink that are supposed to correct earlier Doco bugs!) in
the sections regarding how to set up a logical standby; be sure you
follow the 9.2.0.3.0 docs' instructions for that.  Don't use the notes
on MetaLink!

Now, for the good stuff.

Well, it worked sometimes....

Really, it's a brand-new feature, and performs as brand-new Oracle
features typically do--it's buggy and it's slow.

Well,

--- "Loughmiller, Greg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> folks -
> listening to a preso from a vendor where they will use logical
> standby to
> accomplish some of the 99.999999999999999 availability
> requirements... so
> I'm wondering, does anyone have some extensive experience with the
> logical
> standby to share? the good stuff, the bad stuff, pitfalls, gotcha's,
> and
> general things to run away from.. Then on the other hand-what things
> should
> someone try to leverage?
>
> thanks in advance!
>

> Greg Loughmiller