RDB,
 It is always best to include the path for the script that you want to
execute. That way you make sure that you execute your script and not
someone else's. There can be many scripts  of the same name in the
directory path.
Ron
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 08/14/03 03:19PM >>>

Yes there is a way.  In UNIX environments (I think this works in
NT/2000 as
well) you can set the environment variable SQLPATH to a list of
directories
that contain SQL files.  SQLPlus will search this path if the file is
not
found in the current directory.

RWB

============================================================================================================

Reginald W. Bailey
IBM Global Services - ETS SW GDSD - Database Management
Your Friendly Neighborhood DBA
713-216-7703 (Office) 281-798-5474 (Mobile) 713-415-5410 (Pager)
============================================================================================================

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    ys.utk.edu                To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    Sent by:                  cc:

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Subject:     How to tell
Oracle the directories of script files
                    om

                    08/14/2003 01:09 PM

                    Please respond to

                    ORACLE-L

Hello,
Suppose I have some SQL scripts in my /home/user directories,
/usr/local/bin
directories, etc.
If I start 'sqlplus' from console in /home/user directories, I can
load/execute the script by doing:
SQL> @scriptname

But what if I don't start sqlplus from that directories? How do I tell
Oracle
to find the scripts in /home/user, then if it's not there in
/usr/local/bin,
for example? So that I can be anywhere in the filesystem when starting
sqlplus and can execute my SQL script.

Just like the $PATH environment variables in *nix system that tell the
shell
where to find executables, is there a similar thing for Oracle?

Thanks for any help.

RDB

--
Reuben D. Budiardja