Stephen Lee wrote:

> The problem with all these "New and Improved" things (when they finally work
> the bugs out ... IF they finally work the bugs out) is that there appears to
> be a move away from SQL-ish syntax toward the calling of a vast number of
> procedures with a whopping array of possible arguments.  I think, with
> Oracle's current path of development we will, in the future, instead of
> "analyze table ...."  have "exec DBMS_STATS.ONE_OF_273_POSSIBLE_CALLS(arg1,
> arg2, arg3, arg4, arg5, arg6, arg7, arg8, arg9, arg10, arg11, arg12, arg13,
> arg14, arg15, arg16, arg17, arg18, arg19, arg20, arg21, arg22, arg23, arg24,
> arg25, arg26, arg27, arg28, arg29, arg30, arg31, arg32, arg33, arg34, arg35,
> arg36, arg37, arg38, arg39, arg40, arg41, arg42, arg43, arg44, arg45, arg46,
> arg47, arg48, arg49, arg50, arg51, arg52, arg53, arg54, arg55, arg56, arg57,
> arg58, arg59, arg60, arg61, arg62, arg63, arg64, arg65, arg66, arg67, arg68,
> arg69, arg70, arg71, arg72, arg73, arg74, arg75, arg76, arg77, arg78, arg79,
> arg80, arg81, arg82, arg83, arg84, arg85, arg86, arg87, arg88, arg89, arg90,
> arg91, arg92, arg93, arg94, arg95, arg96, arg97, arg98, arg99, arg100)".
>
> Do you get the impression that Oracle is just too damn lazy to update their
> syntax parser?

I second that. For years, I really appreciated the way you could use SQL
(or variants of SQL) as the one and only way to query everything, your
data as well as the dictionary (one of Codd's requirements) - so much
nicer than Sybase's sp_ stuff. For a while, when V$ views replaced ODS
in version 6, it even went improving. And from V7 on (I especially felt
it with "advanced" replication) it has become a dreadful mess of
supplied packages, some of them justifiable, some of them much less so.
And lo, you can sometimes even choose between the PL/SQL and the Java
version this days. I would have been quite happy with things such as
ALTER TABLE blah REPLICATE USING dblink and so on.

--
Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Software