Tim, James, Mogens, Group,

Another BAARF advocate here...

However, I recognize Tim's problem when HW vendors:
a) push raid5 or some form of autoraid.
b) push for 8 separate disks of 125G each with only redo-files on them...

While the BAARF initiative should continue in its simple,
elegant and forcefull form (hammer the msg home),
I want to place a call to Gary, Tim and others,
to undertake A Revamp of the original OFA paper.

Determine the new requirements (most of the old ones still stand!)
and from the requirements, enhance the OFA-structure.
It should take into account:
 - SAN capabilities (snapshotting and snapshot-logs or caches)
 - RAC and Clustered file systems, anticipate on 10G.
 - easy of admin: single point of admin per database, not per instance.
 - make provisions for (physical) copies (acceptance/testing/development)
 - standby-db constructions (including for RAC-dbs, and
favour good-old-and-simple sqlplus ;-).
 - Weigh the importance of redo-speed against things like
archive-storage and recoverability based on snap-copies.
Separate redo-files only if redo is your bottleneck. Tip: Redo-files
are the easiest db-files to move around: just add new groups...

Any Takers ?
Any ideas for a joint-effort ?

Regards,

PdV

Oracle DBA.

DTMWFI, FWIW, JMTC and YMWV (of course it will)

PS: Frustration cost me my lunch break.
Me too, Got bitten badly by a hardware vendor recently for _not_
putting aside 35% of my multi-TB disk-capacity exclusively for redos.
Salesman dreams to sell an additional nr of disks at 5% utilization
because of the trueism:
"redo files should be on private, physical, devices".
He even knew of OFA, the Oracle-FILE-Architecture :-).
Any advertising, as long as they spell the name right....

Author: Piet de Visser