Hi,

one of our developers is having a problem. His userid has the DBA role on a test
database, and he's written a PL/SQL procedure, in his schema, which is referencing
(via SELECT) and updating a table in another schema, so he's coding the select as:

  CURSOR c1
   IS
      select distinct ORIG_MODULE
     from QLDBA.GENTRAN
     where TRANS_DT = to_date('15/07/2003','dd/mm/yyyy');

...however, when he tries to compile the procedure, he gets several error messages
including:

Line # = 16 Column # = 11 Error Text = PLS-00201: identifier 'QLDBA.GENTRAN' must be
declared

Now, the table GENTRAN certainly exists in the QLDBA schema, so there must be some
rule being broken here. I thought anyone with the DBA role could do any DML on any
table in any schema? Indeed, when the guy runs the select in a SQL*Plus window, it
works fine, so can any PL/SQL guru shed some light on this? My PL/SQL skills are
pretty rudimentary, and a rummage through the PL/SQL User Guide didn't turn anything
up...

Hope someone can help!

Regards,

Paul