> you mixed a lot of functional information in your question, so
> its difficult to follow the exact 'oracle' question you are asking.

Sorry, but I'm still learning.

> if you are using a 'materialized view' you will need to
> refresh the snapshot? this is used if you have
> calculations(like sums, etc...) that you want to pre-compute
> to speed things up and its easy to refresh.

Yes the contractor is using a 'materialized view', I have never heard of
that kind
of view, is like a parameterized view with computed columns or what?  Is
the term 'materialized'
an Oracle specific term?

> see my embedded comments below... and you may want to
> question the 'consultant' about his level of experience. I've
> never heard of anyone using the term 'stale'.
> >
> > From: "Wolfe Stephen S GS-11 6 MDSS/SGSI"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Date: 2003/08/12 Tue AM 09:39:36 EDT
> > To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: Question on views
> >
> > I just had a contractor tell me that the problem with my Diabetic
> > detection and Listing 'feature' in their product
> (Integrated Clinical
> > Database, ICDB) is because the
> > 'view' crafted for that detection is going 'stale'.
> >
> << has your logic changed?>>

No, the view should return columns (existing and computed) of static
data residing across three tables.

> > I admit that most my SQL design experience is in MSSQL's T-SQL
> > although I'm starting to come up to speed on SQL*Plus, anyway, the
> > above explanation provided to be from the TriCare guy seems bogus.
> >
> > Simply put there are four or five good Lab Chemistry parameters one
> > could use in a SQL select statement to determine if a patient is
> > diabetic or a diabetic candidate without having specific ICD9
> > diagnosis coding that declares the patient diabetic.
> >
> > A select statement returns a cursor of data that meets the
> selection
> > criteria and on MSSQL is a static snapshot of what is in
> the database
> > at the time the query was executed.  Thus, if a patient had
> parameters
> > that
>
> << same thing happens in Oracle. Oracle uses rollbacks to
> achieve this, SQL Server locks the rows. Has the same effect
> in answering the question>>

Understood.

> > met diabetic conditions stored in the database over the
> past year, how
> > can a view go 'stale'?  Is this just a Oracle peculiarity or am I
> > getting a smoke screen as I suspect?
> >
> << In oracle a standard view is a select statement. what is
> the background of this 'consultant'. Is he a vendor specific
> guy or is he an oracle guy?
>
> what does he mean by 'stale'? Its hard to judge what your
> asking. There is too much functional information in your
> question. Since Im not familiar with your system its hard for
> me to follow.

I have never heard of the term 'stale' either ...

I think they are just trying to buy time to fix the problem and I keep
bugging them
with the 'how' type of questions.

Thanks, your response has been helpful.

Author: Wolfe Stephen S GS-11 6 MDSS/SGSI