----- Original Message -----
To: "Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 9:19 PM

> Mark,
>
> NAW, Sounds like someone else needs to get a real production support job.
Production issues ALL fall into one bucket, I needed to do something 10
minutes ago.  BTW: When I did eval PocketDBA it worked rather nicely with a
regular browser, we just could not get it to work outside the immediate area
doe to the lack of communications capability.  Our Network/WAN admin is
playing around with a GSM card from AT&T.  Looks VERY promising.

> Dick Goulet
> Senior Oracle DBA
> Oracle Certified 8i DBA

In
> this case, a pager is more than sufficient as a notification device.
>
> Anything else in between should have already been *proactively* alerted
(and
> addressed) via a monitoring tool, or more effectively and reliably via a
> whole bunch of home-grow scripts. The options I have seen advertised for
> such a gadget include adding users or adding datafiles (which is probably
> obsolete with 10g anyway). If you have to do these things re-actively via
> PDA, you have to seriously look at getting out of fire-fighting mode in
the
> first place.
>
> In fact, I have never equated OEM with usefulness or reliability - remains
> to be seen what 10g is like. To be fair, all monitoring tools I have
worked
> with, or evaluated, can only be ranked according to their degree of
> un-usability.

On

Author: Tanel Poder