Speaking of 'weird' character behaviour, how about
this one:

SQL> desc <omitted>
 Name                  Null?    Type
 --------------------- -------- ----------------------
 PREDICATE                      VARCHAR2(4096)

Hmmm...that seems about 96 too many to me...

Enjoy...

Connor

 --- Tanel Poder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >
Hi!

> One more interesting issue with CHAR datatype is,
> that it is not *always*
> padded with spaces as sometimes understood. When the
> CHAR field is NULL,
> then no spaces are saved into row. But as soon as
> you update even one single
> char into it, the full CHAR length is used for this
> field in a row.
>
> Tanel.

=====
Connor McDonald
web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish, and...he will
sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=