create table newtab select no, to_lob(col1) col1 from table1;

it's better to create the table first and then use insert +append, that way you control better which datatypes your columns will have.

Tanel.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 1:14 PM
Subject: converting long to lob - the easiest and fastest way ?

Hi Gurus,

How do I convert a long datatype to clob datatype.

Say Table A

No                    number

Col1                 long

Would like to convert to

Table A

No                    number

Col1                  clob

Alter table A modify (col1 clob);

Gives an error as inconsistent datatypes.

Could you give me an example of this with lob_storage_clause.

I would like to convert the existing data in clob type also. The to_lob works only for select statements, cannot go through that pain of table creation.

Thanks in advance.

- Siddharth