>From "ls -l" command.

-rwxrwxrwx

First character, the dash in this case, identifies the kind of file (in Unix
everything is a file).
The next three are the owner's permissions.
The next three are the group's permissions.
The next three are the world's permissions.

r=read
w=write
x=execute

These mean different things for plain files and directories.
For directory:

r=you can list the contents of the directory
w=you can change the contents of the directory; i.e. create, delete, and
rename files.
x=you can cd into the directory or one of its subdirectories.  More
generically speaking, the directory can be part of a path in a command.

So, for a user to be able to delete files, the user needs AT LEAST write and
execute permission.

If the user does not have read permission, then the user can still
manipulate files in the directory, but they can't list what's in the
directory; so the user will be working blind.  This is (or was) used by some
software services to put patches, etc. on a FTP box and allow anonymous
connections.  Unless you knew the name of the file you were supposed to get,
you couldn't get the file; and the software support had to tell you name of
the file.

chmod 755 on a directory sets the permissions to:
drwxr-xr-x
which means only the owner can modify the contents of the directory.

chmod 777; or chmod a+rwx; or chmod ugo+rwx will set permission to:
drwxrwxrwx

In general, sys admins don't like to see this.

I hope this little discussion increases your appreciation for the loveliness
of non-MS OS.

Author: Stephen Lee