We recently upgraded a production DB to 9.2.0.2    The equivalent test tier
was upgraded
last month.   After the production upgrade, one application immediately
began experiencing
performance issues for a given package where they did not encounter such
problems in test.

The problem was with one simple SQL statement within the package:

SELECT * FROM PARTS WHERE PART_NO = :b1

In production, we are seeing full table scans for this statement while in
test it's using
an index.   We checked stats, indexes, etc, and they are all the same.   So
I then compared
the optimizer parameters and it turns out that in test,
optimizer_index_cost_adj is set to 100,
but in production it's set to 80.    If I do an alter session set
optimizer_index_cost_adj to
100 in prod, the statement runs exactly as in test, i.e, with index access.

My understanding is that LOWER values of optimizer_index_cost_adj will bias
the CBO towards
index probes.  So, this situation has me confused.   What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Jeffery D Thomas
DBA
Thomson Information Services
Thomson, Inc.

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Indy DBA Master Documentation available at:
http://gkmqp.tce.com/tis_dba

Author: Thomas Jeff