-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 11:09 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

I have a problem with the new procedure based roles,
"Secure Application Roles".
The following is taken from an example in ASKTOM.
Basically, I'm trying to setup a role that is
enabled or not by a procedure.  The original code from Tom:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]> l
  1  create or replace procedure turn_on_role
  2  authid current_user
  3  as
  4  begin
  5     execute immediate
            'set role new_role identified by password';
  6* end;
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> create role new_role identified by password;
Role created.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> set role none;
Role set.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> select * from session_roles;
no rows selected
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> set role new_role;
set role new_role
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01979: missing or invalid password for role 'NEW_ROLE'
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> exec turn_on_role;
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> select * from session_roles;
ROLE
------------------------------
NEW_ROLE
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Now, if I try this using what I need:
  1  create or replace procedure turn_on_role
  2  authid current_user
  3  as
  4  begin
  5     execute immediate
            'set role new_role';
  6* end;

and then try to run it:

> exec turn_on_role;

I get a ORA-6565 error:
"Cannot execute SET ROLE from within stored procedure"

Any ideas what am I missing here?
9.2.0.1, Win2K.
Did the usual searches everywhere including Metaclick,
nothing that I can relate to...

TIA for any help.
Cheers
Nuno Souto