Jake,

I have heard horror stories from both Sun *and* Tru64 customers (we were
Sequent, and moved to Sun), but your CIO is probably right in moving out
since support (people, skills, patch and product/application availability)
for Tru64 is slowly vanishing. As well maintenance costs are higher for
'exotic' brands, so the move might make sen$e. For sure, the Sun platform
base is larger...

The stickler is the time that will be taken for migration, and that depends
on 'how much is the business willing to wait' while the database is down, as
this *has* to be done via an export/import. Questions you might want to ask
(and follow up for alternate solutions) are:

* Would a read-only copy of the database suffice when you migrate (keeps
users somewhat happy, but need to make sure that there are NO updates)
* Is it possible to migrate a set of connected pieces at a time? (reduce a
big-bang approach to a series of smaller bangs with interfaces via DB links,
etc.)
* Is it possible to create an archive copy and purge the older data? (reduce
the amount of data to be exported/imported)
* Is it possible to parallelize export/import (use all available CPU/IO
capacity) and use piping rather than perform an export-ftp-import cycle?
* Do you have additional (and equivalent) h/w so that you can test
approaches and fine tune the whole thing?

These are some of the questions that you might want to start asking of your
CIO!!!

John Kanagaraj
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Listen to great, commercial-free christian music 24x7x365 at
http://www.klove.com

** The opinions and facts contained in this message are entirely mine and do
not reflect those of my employer or customers **