You might try ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET internal_use us7ascii;

Make sure you know what you're doing.  See Metalink Doc Id 100751.996

Richard Quintin, DBA
Information Systems & Computing, DBMS
Virginia Tech
--
"The only factor becoming scarce in a world of abundance is human
attention." -- Kevin Kelly
Author: Quintin, Richard