-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 7:14 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Really?  I'm curious, because after reading up on Index-Organized
Tables, they sound actually pretty similar.

Clustered Index: an "ordering ruleset" for the data on the disk.
IOT: a method to store oracle rows in a b*Tree format instead of the
default rowid-controlled heap.

So, generically, both are ways you can control the physical order of the
data on your disk.  Is there more to it than this simplistic
explanation?

Followup question: why not have EVERY table be an IOT in oracle?

(notwithstanding the known limitations of IOTs; no longs, no clustering)

Boss

Author: Todd Boss

command for other information (like subscribing).
Author: Rothouse, Michael