Here's another idea.  Expand on it and modify as needed.

   COUNT=1
   while [ $COUNT -le 8 ]; do
      ## The first jobs command is to clear out any "jobs completed"
messages.
      jobs > /dev/null
      if [ -z "`jobs`" ]; then break; fi
      sleep 30
      COUNT=$(( $COUNT + 1 ))
   done
   jobs > /dev/null
   echo "SLEPT $COUNT times" >> "$LOG_FILE"

   ## Kill any remaining jobs.
   for JOB_NUMBER in `jobs | sed 's/\([^0-9]*\)\([1-9][0-9]*\)\(.*\)/\2/'`;
do
      kill %${JOB_NUMBER}
      echo "killed job number $JOB_NUMBER" >> "$LOG_FILE"
   done

Author: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]