> COALESCE would be a better option than REBUILD for Indexes on
> monotonically increasing sequences where older values are purged periodically.

Unless you happen to be doing index_ffs on that particular index, in which
case a rebuild *may* be in order.  Rebuilding the index may cause insert
performance problems for a time due to block splits.

If the index is a composite index with some other non-unique value(s)
making up the index, a higher than normal number of block splits may be
in your future.  I haven't tested the composite index yet, but this seems reasonable.

If the index is based simply  on the unique key, and for some reason you are
using index_ffs on it, then rebuilding will cut down the number of scanned blocks.

It would be interesting to see how skip scans are affected by this as well.

Jared

Hemant K Chitale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 11/01/2003 12:34 AM