-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 4:05 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

But that doesn't really explain why the optimizer chooses an FTS with a
predicate that presumable is more selective (name like 'ABC%') and an index
scan with a predicate that presumable is less selective (name like 'AB%').
I could understand it if it were the other way around.
Is there a histogram on the name column?

At 11:34 AM 11/5/2003, you wrote:
>Sami,
>
>         Your problem is not with the index, but rather the cost based
> optimizer.  Most of us have been beat severely over the head and
> shoulders through the years that full table scans are a BAD thing, me
> included BTW.  Well, it's time for the old dog to learn new tricks.  So
> that I'm not a long winded person, take a look in Select magazine, 3rd
> qtr 2003, for the article "In Defense of Full Table Scans" by Jeff
> Maresh.  For a long time the CBO was a mystery to me as well especially
> when it did unexpected things like this.  I've applied Jeff's ideas on
> computing an index's efficiency to see if it explained what the CBO
> did.  Amazingly in 95% of the cases I've analyzed it made absolute sense.
>
>         I'm including Jeff with a courtesy copy of this message so that
> 1) I can pat him for making the waters clear and 2) so he can add
> anything he desires.
>
>Dick Goulet
>Senior Oracle DBA
>Oracle Certified 8i DBA