It raises an interesting question. As of today, we have datafiles which are OS
dependent and _not_ binary compatible from one system to another. We upgrade to 10g
and it will become magically binary compatible. Which means that the upgrade process
will do more intimate things than updating some file header block, creating a couple
of new tables in the data dictionary and recreating view.

Has anybody tried to upgrade from 9.x to 10g yet, on some database of decent size ?

SF

Author: Stephane Faroult