took me exactly two clicks to find the following:

Oracle9i Release 2 (9.2) New Features in Data Guard

The features and enhancements described in this section were added to
Data Guard in Oracle9i release 2 (9.2).

    * Logical standby database

      Until now, there has been only the physical standby database
implementation, in which the standby database can be in either recovery
mode or in read-only mode. A physical standby database is physically
equivalent to the primary database, and, while the database is applying
logs it cannot be opened for reporting and vice versa. A logical
standby database has the same logical schema as the primary database
but may have different physical objects, such as additional indexes.
With logical standby databases, you can have the database available for
reporting and applying the logs to the standby log at the same time.

Author: Rachel Carmichael